Friday, March 02, 2007

Daylight Saving Time

As of Monday I am a listening teacher again. That means I spend my free time scouring online audio and video sources to find interesting, appropriate and relevant clips to use in the classroom. (while adhering to copyright laws, of course!)

I was trying to find an explanation of Daylight Saving Time -
when and why it started, when to change our clocks, etc. - and came across this video taken from a 1950s drive in theater intermission reel. It's interesting that although DST had been around in various parts of the world since WWI, and the law was passed in the USA in 1919, there was an active campaign to not adhere to it years later. It's insignificant 'discoveries' like this that I make that make me wish I had studied history.

To me Daylight Saving Time is simply an annoyance; who wants to reset all their clocks twice a year? But then again, I never complain about the extra hour of sleep in the fall!




And don't forget, we're setting the clocks ahead earlier now: the second Sunday in March. I guess we might as well get it over with, eh?

2 comments:

Dan Cook said...

anti-daylight savings time...

that's funny!!

Colleen McCubbin said...

Well, that's why I live in Saskatchewan. We never turn our clocks back or forward ... except after a power outage. :)