Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Musicals and novels

Last Sunday Darren, our friend Ashley and I had tickets to see You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in Hamilton. In grade 7, Darren played Charlie Brown in his elementary school's production of the Broadway Musical. So, I thought it would be a nice birthday outing. And that it was.

I could imagine little awkward 12-year-old Darren sulking around the stage in character, dreaming of "that cute redhead girl" and yelling at Snoopy to stop dancing and start eating his dinner. I think he was probably really well cast!

This Sunday we were back in Hamilton, this time to celebrate Darren's 33rd birthday with his family. We partook in the Sunday morning service at the Meeting House, and then had a bit of time to kill before heading over to the Conleys'. So, we decided a visit to Chapters was in order.

While Darren browsed through comic books and superhero magazines (What was I going to say - it was after all his birthday!?!), I embarked on the task of finding a book to read on the plane. None of the titles on the Hot and New table intrigued me, so I headed over to the literature section and began to systematically scan each shelf. I now understand why they have all those chairs all over the store! I picked up a few books, read a few pages, and then made my decision.

I purchased My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, a novel about a girl who was conceived to be a donor for her older sister with Leukemia. I thought the 448 pages would keep me occupied during the two consecutive 7-hour flights.

Here's the problem: I've been having trouble saving it for the plane ride!

This is good because it means I finally have time to read for pleasure again. On the other hand, if I finish the book now, how will I entertain myself on August 12?

But my friend Marie, who happens to have a fascination with Iranian culture, has helped me out. She loaned me a couple of books (Lipstick Jihad and another one whose name I forget just now) which will hopefully keep me occupied until I'm at Pearson International Airport. Thanks, Dr. Good!

No comments: