Friday, January 23, 2009

Morning confusion

I've been spoiled. And I can admit it.

Today is Friday. It is one of the two days a week that I don't have to wake up at 5:30 in order to be at work on time. Fridays and Saturdays are the only days I can get up after the sun. I look forward to these days, opening my eyes in a room filled with a warm, natural glow. And this being the desert, every day is like this.

So imagine my confusion when I opened my eyes this morning to a dull, grey light. My mind couldn't process that fact that the clock said 7:28 but there was no yellow hue reflected on the walls. It took me a full three minutes of thinking and looking around to figure out that the clock was not incorrect; it's simply a grey, cloudy day.

It's not a problem - I can handle a cloudy day every now and then (oh the hardships I endure!). I just find it interesting how little time it took for me to get so accustomed to life here that the effects of a few clouds could disorient me so. I wonder if I'll ever get to the place where, like true desert dwellers, I long for a bit of cloud or a drop of rain.

Nah, probably not.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from London, Ontario... we're digging ourselves out from record snow storms, it was about -11 all last week, and I have forgotten what the sun is altogether -- thanks for confirming that it does still exist. :)