One of the writers at Qatar Visitor posted an article yesterday talking about Qatar and the economy. Well, it's actually about how lucky she (he?) is to be here in Qatar during the current economic situation.As the author says, it's not that Qatar hasn't been affected by the recession, but it certainly has not been affected the way most other countries have. [According to this article, the economy of Qatar is actually expected to grow in 2009.] Because of this, it's easy for us expats to forget about the hardships many people are facing in our countries of origin.
When I hear about people losing their jobs and others struggling to make payments or keep their refrigerators stocked, I'm reminded of how fortunate Darren and I are to have such good, secure jobs (and all the benefits that come with those jobs).
I'm not naive enough to believe that the situation Darren and I are experiencing will continue forever, but at the moment we've been given an amazing opportunity in the midst of a lack of opportunities worldwide. It makes me feel grateful. It also makes me feel accountable. Not bad things to be feeling among so much obvious worldwide need.
(If you're interested, you can read the article here.)


No comments:
Post a Comment