Friday, October 09, 2009

Baby Questions

I really do want to write posts about our summer adventures as well as our trip to Prague. Really, I do. And I will. But I'm finding myself a little distracted these days. And nauseous. And tired. And pregnant.

That's right: Darren and I are expecting our first child early in April. We're looking forward to the joys and challenges this addition to our family will bring. We're also nervous, but that's normal, right?

We just started sharing the news this past week. It was pretty easy to keep it a secret because I'm not showing. But now that the college is offering us a villa (in place of our current fabulous apartment), and encouraging us to move right away, it seems as though there will be no more secret keeping. That's ok, I guess. People were bound to find out eventually!

Once people find out, they start asking questions. I appreciate the questions, but would rather not have to type answers to them dozens of times (a major pitfall of using the Internet as your main source of communication with family and friends). So I've compiled some answers to the most-asked questions.

  • When are you due?
    April 6. Or April 12. I've been told both, but am holding on to the first one. Sooner is better!


  • How are you feeling?
    Well, I can't say that these past few months have been a walk in the park, but I haven't had to take a sick day, either! If I don't eat something every few hours the nausea comes rushing in. Also, I'm having strong negative reactions to Darren's smells (hair gel, deodorant, etc.) Oh, and I'm tired all the time. Usual preganancy stuff.


  • Are you having any cravings?
    Not really, except maybe apple juice. Oh, how I love apple juice! :) Also, I've wanted to drink milk a few times, which I haven't done in years! I do eat a lot of crackers, but not because I crave them, just because they make my tummy feel a little better.


  • Did you know when you were in Canada and not tell anyone?
    Yeah, we did, but we wanted to keep it to ourselves until we had seen a doctor and knew things were looking good. You understand!


  • Will you come home to deliver?
    Nope, we're going to have the baby right here. Our doctor is from Germany and he's a specialist in at-risk pregnancies, which means he should be a true genius at normal pregnancies/deliveries. The hospital I'll deliver at is like a 5-star hotel; much nicer than we'd get in Canada!


  • Will your baby be a Qatari citizen?
    No. The only way to become a Qatari citizen is to be born to a Qatari mom and dad. Actually, our baby will not be a citizen of anywhere until we apply for Canadian citizenship. The process is a little complicated since the nearest Canadian embassy is in Kuwait, but hopefully we'll have a passport for baby Conley before it's time for us to come to Canada for summer vacation (mid-July).


  • Do you have any names picked out?
    Honestly, no, and it's not for lack of trying. For years (long before we seriously considered having children) Darren and I have been watching movie credits in search of names we both like. No success yet. We're calling the baby "Bumpkin" in the meantime.


  • Is it a boy or a girl? Or don't you want to know?
    We don't know, but we do want to. I don't think we'll know until November at the earliest, and then only if Bumpkin cooperates with the doctor and the ultrasound machine. My sister Alicia is wishing for a boy cousin for her newest child, though. I'm not sure which I'd pick if I could.


  • What about work?
    Because of my residency status, I am eligible for up to 1 year of unpaid leave. The plan at this moment is to work as late as I can (probably the last week of March) and then take off 5 1/2 months, returning to work at the beginning of the fall semseter.


  • Are you going to post pictures of your baby bump?
    Well, if I had one, then maybe. I'm not really showing much yet. We'll see.

  • Who is going to watch the baby when you go back to work?
    We will look into the various options as the time gets closer. There are lots of nannies in Doha, so that's a possibility. There are also nursery programs for children as young as 11 months old. We also have a spare room in our villa if you'd like to come and take care of Bumpkin for a few weeks or months!


  • Did you say villa? I thought you lived in an apartment.
    Families get first dibs at villas, so once we told HR we were expecting, they put us on the top of the list to get a villa. We were thinking we'd move in January or Febrauary, but it looks like they want us out of our apartment in the next few weeks. So we have a lot of packing to do!


  • Can you get baby stuff in Qatar?
    Yes, there are baby shops that stock everything from onesies to strollers to baby on board signs. Everyone says baby things are way more expensive here than at home, though. Fortunately people are always leaving and selling their stuff so we're hoping to score some used baby gear at reasonable prices - espeically the stuff we don't need for a while yet like a high chair.


  • Are you excited?
    Yes, we are. We're also a little overwhelmed, but definitely excited. I suspect both emotions will get more intense as the months roll by.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

YAY!
(I love your 'FAQ' style, BTW...)
:)