We're back home in Doha after the most wonderful summer vacation. We spent seven glorious weeks in Ontario visiting family and friends, and enjoying the cool, green outdoors. It was the most low-key, relaxing summer vacation we've ever had, and more than ever before, I tried to savour every minute of it.
The older I get, the more impressive small things become. I soaked in the smell of wet grass after a rain, the cool breeze on a humid-less summer afternoon, the sound of raindrops on the roof. I got so much pleasure out of watching Caleb discover birds and trees, master the stairs at home and at the park, dip his head in splash pad fountains, and warm up to people who are dear to us. And of course I took advantage of the array of toddler-friendly snack foods, affordable children's clothing and local produce. We were able to celebrate my youngest sister's wedding (at which my thobed ring-bearing toddler ran down the aisle with the biggest grin on his face), spend significant time with most of our extended immediate family, eat all the foods we miss while living abroad, have few but good visits with dear friends, and make daily trips to a park, beach, hiking trail or splash pad as a family.
Through all the transitions this summer included, we couldn't have been more proud of our little trooper. I think in total, Caleb slept in 11 different rooms - including bedrooms, a hallway, a family room, a laundry room and a furnace room - in 7 weeks. The way we would walk into a new home, and set ourselves up there made Darren wonder whether Caleb believes we can simply choose a house and live in it. :)
I admit I am glad to be home again, eating out of our own fridge, sleeping in our own bed (well, we will once we get the A/C in our room working again), and making messes in our own space. And once the school year starts tomorrow, having a stable routine for all 3 of us.
We are grateful to everyone who accommodated us in one way or another over the past 3 summers. Your generosity is not overlooked or under-appreciated. Please consider visiting us in Doha and letting us having the pleasure of repaying you in kind.
Until then, happy fall, everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment