Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sick at Eid

I'm on vacation. And I'm sick. It's a frustrating combination.

When I say I'm sick I don't mean I feel a little under the weather. This is one of the worst colds I can remember. I think viruses are getting more malicious.

For a couple of hours yesterday I thought I had strep throat, which would require a trip to the clinic and some antibiotics. However, as the day progressed I became convinced that what I'm experiencing is just a regular virus; not a bacterial infection. That's a good thing because since it's
Eid, the clinics are closed. The emergency rooms are open, but I'm not sure this is an emergency. I have a cold.

So, I've been spending a good amount of time in bed, with the intention of resting this cold out of me. Sleep has been hard to come by, unfortunately. The only times I have fallen asleep in the last 3 days has been when Darren was reading to me. (The idea was to put me to sleep; I'd already heard the story before!)

While it has been nice to have a really relaxing few days, I can't believe I'm wasting my vacation in bed! We had a number of things on our potential to do list for this week in Doha: visit the
Doha zoo, check out the newly opened Museum of Islamic Art, enjoy the nightly entertainment at the Pearl, go on an overnight desert safari.

Instead my days have been filled with reading books, writing posts, drinking tea, surfing the 'net, and watching Prison Break. Oh, and lots of nose blowing, sneezing, coughing and even a fair amount of moaning. Sick people like to moan.

But let's keep everything in perspective. There are many places where it's worse to be sick - all of which were real possibilities for this week: at work, in a hotel in a foreign country (I know, this is a foreign country, too...but it's home to us now), at a friend's house, in a holding cell in Athens like our friend Michael!

Suddenly I'm feeling grateful for this week of nothing to do but relax and fight this bug. Ah, the mental healing power of a blog. Yes, I'm on vacation. And yes, I'm sick. And yes, it's frustrating...but it could be much worse!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Hope you get better soon!
I can barely keep up with all your posts!
(those were meant to be two totally unconnected ideas... ;) )

Larissa said...

Don't worry; I'll slow down soon. We're off to Turkey a week from yesterday. You'll have lots of time to catch up! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Larissa,
I hope you are feeling better by now. I read your Christmas post too - I am so with you on this one. And spending Eid break in bed with a book is the fate I shared with you, as well. I firmly believe that it was all for good, perhaps we needed this unsolicited downtime for energy-saving to do bigger and better things. Turkey requires lots of energy - enjoy. But dress warmly, it can be quite chilly this time of the year there.
Take care,
Stella