There are three semesters (is the number 2 inherent in the word semester?) at the school where Darren and I teach: Fall (August-December), Winter (January-April), and Intersession (May-June or July).Intersession has been an interesting concept for me to wrap my mind around. Because of the reduced number of weeks, many classes have doubled contact hours in half as many weeks. For example, one colleague is teaching two 2-hour physics lectures a week rather than the two 1-hour physics lectures he teaches in the other terms. Some classes have a few fewer weeks and a few more hours per week. For example, another colleague is teaching 5 hours of math per week instead of the 4 she teaches during the other terms, but for 2-3 fewer weeks. And then there are language classes which have the same number of hours per week, the same number of objectives to meet, and 2-3 fewer weeks to do it in. I'm sure glad I don't have to schedule all this stuff!
So needless to say, things are winding down at work for most people. Language, trades and some math classes continue but students in all other classes are finished for the year. In fact, the graduation ceremony is being held tonight! The campus is emptier and a good number of faculty have the time for that leisurely coffee they've been dreaming about all hectic semester.
Things for the Conleys, however, have been a little busier than usual. Darren had his second routine teaching observation this past Sunday. It went well, but it is a time and energy-consuming process nonetheless. He's also dealing with additional paperwork related to course assignments, and his teaching team is trying to get their final exam put together and approved...all while trying to get through all the objectives and content in a shorter time frame than usual.
I am not teaching this semester, but I've been busy too. There are days when I'm working non-stop from the time I get in until the time I leave to catch the bus in the afternoon - except for the half hour when Darren comes over to my office area for lunch. I've been involved in 3 distinct projects this semester, all of which have been interesting in their own way. Then there's the surprise issues that pop up and my attention is focused elsewhere.
I've enjoyed the diversity in my workload this term, but I've also missed interacting with students. In the fall I'm guaranteed to teach at least one class, which will be nice again. I miss "my boys".
But that's still a while away. We have to finish this semester yet, and then enjoy our summer break. Both Darren and I are looking forward to some time visiting family and friends in Zambia and Ontario. I am especially looking forward to not having conversations like the one we had this morning as we left our building to catch the bus:
L: Hey, it feels pretty cool this morning.
D: Yeah, it's probably only in the low 40s.
L: Or maybe even the high 30s! That would be crazy!
D: Let me check. (runs to the thermometer that sits in the shade by the entrance to our building) Yup, it's cool. Only 38 today!
L: (smiles at the ridiculousness - and truth - of those words) Only 38.
Another of the joys of Intersession. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment