Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dress for success

I have a new respect for all those who work outside. Mailmen, construction workers, meter readers...they're all amazing!

With the extended amount of time that I'm spending outside these days, I've become very interested in the weather. To be more specific, I've become very interested in how to dress appropriately for the weather.

I have no idea how I spent 3 winters in Saskatchewan without a warm coat. Ok, let's be reasonable - it's not like I endure the winter months in a sweater. I have outerwear that keeps me warm from car to building or building to building, but nothing to spend extended periods of time outdoors in. No ski jacket or pants, no good winter play boots. It baffles me.

Neither do I have rain gear. I know once upon a time I did have a pastel green/blue rain coat, but I suspect that sometime in the late 90s it was donated to the Salvation Army.

Anyway, I am surrounded by kind folks who have taken pity on me. It's understandable; I would feel compassionate toward a stick-girl huddling under her umbrella in pouring rain with water running from the bottom edge of her wool coat, or that same girl walking on her heels on a frigid day because her toes have frozen. Anyway, thanks to the generosity of my fine compatriots, I have been sporting the following of late:

  • borrowed hot paws mitts, men's large size
  • borrowed yellow plastic rain pants, securely duct taped in the crotch
  • a borrowed white down-filled jacket with purple fabric with cartoon Inuit characters on the inside, including the hood
  • hand and foot warmers, purchased regularly at Canadian Tire to help my once-fashionable (circa 1995) Thinsulate boots protect my feet
  • all of this is covering the 3 shirts, 2 pairs of pants and knee-socks, and complimented by an unmatching hat/scarf ensemble
I'm quite a sight!

It's amazing what a difference being properly dressed makes on one's morale...and also physical wellbeing. Once I have money coming in again, I'm going to seriously consider investing in a good pair of snow pants and a winter coat - you know, the kind that keeps one warm.

1 comment:

Crush's Chronicle said...

Do you have any photos? Please let us know if we can donate anything to the cause Larissa and we're praying for you and a quick end to the strike. ;-)