Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The consequence of listening to experts

Every decision has a consequence. Unfortunately, a disproportionate number of those consequences are negative. Perhaps that's why I hate decision making so much.

I'm thinking of one incident in particular:

Last weekend Darren, Chuck and I went to Toronto to visit the boys' friend, Erika. On the way we stopped at Spence to look at the wedding band that matches my engagement ring. While there two things happened: (1) we purchased a ring for me and (2) the sales lady convinced me that my ring - which I have been wearing without incident since November - was 1/2 a size too big. We ended up leaving there with less money and no rings because one was being ordered and the other shipped away for sizing.

Now this woman (who is much more of an expert in ring sizing than I am) is probably right. The ring has always had a lot of freedom to move around on my finger. However, I thought that was how rings were supposed to fit, so I didn't consider the fact that it might, indeed be too big.

But there's one thing that this sales lady doesn't know: my fingers get fat in the summer. It doesn't even have to be summer; as soon as it gets warm, my long, lean fingers turn into long, fat sausages. In fact, I used to gauge my internal body temperature by how many times I had to switch my rings to smaller fingers.

I did mention this fact to the woman at Spence but somehow she got me to leave my ring there to be made smaller. But as soon as we left the store I was afraid that I had made the wrong decision and that whenever the weather got above freezing I'd have to walk around looking "unattached."

Of course, on Saturday when we go and pick up the ring we may discover that all my worrying was a waste of energy. So I guess I don't really believe that most consequences are negative. It's that I fear that most consequences are negative. What I need to do is decide that my decision, once I've deliberated over it and finally, painstakingly made it, is the right one and put it out of my mind.

Hmmm...I wonder how many more decisions I'll have to fret over before I learn to do this.

2 comments:

hogwarts_girl said...

Perhaps you're experiencing those pre-marriage jitters. You seem a little worried about the ring, but perhaps you're displaying symptoms of anxiety. JUST KIDDING. I'm practicing my psychisms.

KatieLauren said...

i came across your blog a while back but have yet to comment.

I just got engaged a few weeks ago and i worry about the same thing!!

The ring isn't big enough to fall off, but it does spin around a bit. I have yet to take it in because
1. I don't want to take it off, I love its guts to much.
2. I also get fat ass fingers when it gets hot outside!

lauren