Both Darren and I commented today just how great a weekend this past one was. Here's the interesting thing, though: we didn't do anything extra special or completely out of the ordinary.The schedule included a Casino party (no money exchanged) for our ESL students, a bit of standard driving, the watching of a movie, a dinner out, registering at Walmart, a church worship service, lunch with Darren's family, the buying of Darren's wedding band, the booking of our honeymoon, a little zuma-action (of course!) and the sixth installment of our marriage course.
We didn't get re-acquainted with any long-lost friends or visit any new, fascinating places. We didn't complete any major projects or beat any world records. We didn't take up a new sport or solve any world issues. But it was a wonderful weekend.
I think, at least for me, the definition of a great "down time" is one which has a healthy balance of productivity and relaxation. It's easy and natural to do nothing (by "nothing" I mean lay around watching TV, reading a book and eating) when we're not required to be somewhere or produce something. Many a reading week or Christmas vacation is "wasted" by such activities that we think will help re-energize us for when "real life" starts again.
But whenever I have days like that I always find myself more tired and drained than when I began. Part of it could simply be the drained sensation that comes with guilt of having been so lazy.
So now I think that the body requires a bit of activity and pro-activity in order to be healthy and to truly relax. It's funny: I don't feel particularly tired at the end of this weekend even though we lost an hour. I think it's because Darren and I took the time to do "nothing" (I'd definitely consider watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind doing nothing) in between taking care of some important things (making significant and vital purchases for our upcoming festivities) and enjoying the company of others in a fun environment (without losing a cent on blackjack).
Well, at least that's my latest theory.


1 comment:
I'm glad you guys had a good time. Where're you going on your honeymoon???
Post a Comment