Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Quite the man

So this morning I am sitting on the couch in the living room reading my friends' blogs -- gotta keep up to date! -- and a strange thing happens. Darren comes and joins me on the couch, book in hand, saying, "I just felt like reading the [etymological] dictionary."

Then he proceeds to tell me vital pieces of information like the words hole and hollow have the same root, the use of eye for hole of a needle is widespread, in Old English the only word for big/great was micel which has completely disappeared, the Middle English word for right (as in right hand) was swither which comes from the word strong and the word meagre is derrived from the word for long.

I'm going to have the smartest kids ever!

1 comment:

Me said...

Really though...who doesn't ever feel like reading the etymological dictionary??

PS-Did I hear a whisper of...kids?? =)