Yesterday was what Darren and I like to call our halfiversary. The term "sixth mesiversary" seemed a little drab for such a special occasion; we believe it warranted the creation of a new word.Anyway, I thought I would take this opportunity to consider the past 6 months.
I love being married. I think it's wonderful to share a home with someone I love. I appreciate having someone who knows me well enough to be able to help me when I'm freaking out. I'm so thankful that "Good night" is now followed by rolling over and going to sleep rather than driving 45 minutes to get home. And I love knowing that there are two of us who are committed to dealing with whatever comes our way.
Being married means being supported and supportive, understood and understanding, loved and loving...you get the point. It's a lot of work, but it has a lot of rewards.
The first 6 months of being married have been fabulous, but not easy. If you were to ask Darren about his impressions of married life, he'd likely say something along the lines of "some things that we thought would be easy to adjust to have been difficult, and some things we thought would be harder to deal with have been easy." I think that's a pretty accurate description.
If someone were to ask me what to expect when they got married, I'd say this: Expect to have all your expectations destroyed. The majority of the conflict we've experienced has been a direct result of an unfulfilled/unrealistic expectation of some sort. But I'm very thankful for times of conflict because there is great joy and closeness in the resolution of them. And it's encouraging to see both the frequency of mini conflicts and the time needed to reach a resolution diminishing!
In just 6 months we've learned a lot, grown a lot, laughed a lot and even caught each other acting like our parents at least once. Does it feel like I've been married for half a year? The answer: I don't know what being married for half a year is supposed to feel like. Darren and I have both commented that sometimes it feels like we've been together for a long time, and other times it feels so new.
Either way, it's good.


5 comments:
That's so cute. I'm so happy for you guys. I hope whatever relationship I end up in ends up turning out just as good
Congrats!
Glad it's going well!
i worked out about 2 months into it,that playing by ear is the best way to go about marraige.now,if only my wife would destroy all her expectations & preconceptions about being wed..
Glad things are going so well the first half of your year together... you make my heart sore!!
love you lots,
Being married I think is the greatest joy God could ever give us - that is after Salvation of course. Oh and just so you know, being parents is another extremely cool blessing. Just multiply how great you feel being married by say oh I don't know a hundred or so. So you guys should get on that parenting thing cuz then you'll get to experience that much more joy!!! ;-)
Post a Comment