Monday, November 03, 2008

EFL or Gr. 5 Science?

From the look of my desk some days this past week, one might think I was an elementary school science teacher. Actually, some days this past week I felt like one!!

My low level EFL class is learning about processes and procedures from Oct. 26-Nov. 6. As part of the electronic resource pack I was given in lieu of a textbook, I have worksheets that describe how to change a flat tire, how to drill a hole, and how to desalinate water, among others. These are all interesting -and more importantly, useful!- things, but paper is boring. So, in preparation for this topic, I spent a couple of days researching things I could actually *do* in the classroom that could then be described by the students in step-by-step fashion. My research (which incidentally started with wikiHow) took me to do-it-yourself science experiment websites. Let me just say these past few weeks have been a lot of fun!

Sunday, I had my students make paper helicopters. The looked at me a little strangely when step 6 was "Stand up and throw your paper," but once a couple of them did it, there was laughter all around. One student did comment, "Teacher, like babies," but I think it's just because he didn't want to admit how much he liked his paper helicopter!

Tuesday, pairs of students magnetized needles and made simple compasses. I gave them each a plastic cup containing a needle, a pin and a short piece of thread. As soon as the students got the materials, they attempted to thread the needles. No matter how many times I said "You don't have to thread the needle. The thread goes around the needle," their determination caused them to ignore me. So I waited until the needles were threaded and then asked them to take the thread out. I got some exasperated looks at that point, but just smiled. They should have been listening!!

This Sunday I showed the class how to roll a can using the "magic" of static electricity. Before my demonstration I asked if anyone could move the can without touching it. One student blew on it and it moved. Another lifted the desk the can was placed on and the can fell off. A third took a pencil and touched it to the can. I was impressed with their ingenuity. A fourth said "I can do it, teacher." So I brought the can to his desk and his hand immediately reached for it. I snatched it away and said "you can't touch it." "Ok, ok, teacher." So I put it back on his desk and again the hand went straight for the can, and again I rescued it just in time. "Don't TOUCH the can." "(smiling) Ok, teacher. Don't touch." But that smile said it all - after a third time through this little exercise I decided it was time for me to demonstrate my method - and for them to write down the steps...this time in both the active and passive voices!

Tomorrow will be the last demonstration. I'm going to stick a needle in a balloon without popping it - HOPEFULLY!! I have been practicing, but you never know...

The above-mentioned worksheets were also completed, but after describing something they could see and do. These students will go on to become process operators and mechanical technicians in the oil industry; they're hands on kind of guys! I think it's important to exploit that characteristic whenever possible. I believe it so much, in fact, that during the unit on describing objects (shape, material, use, etc.) I carried a big box of different items to class each day. I got a lot of comments and looks as I walked around campus carrying my big box brightly wrapped like a birthday present! No one seemed to say anything yesterday, though, when I was carrying a red balloon with the words "Happy Birthday" written on it. I guess all those who care to comment go home before 4:30! :)

I also experimented with pinhole cameras using Pringles cans (how to see something upside down without standing on your head), making waves in bottles filled with water, food colouring and mineral oil, and writing messages with invisible ink. None of these made it to class because each was either a little too complicated or didn't work as well as I had hoped. But I had fun doing grade 4 science experiments at the dining room table!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Holy cow, do you ever spend a lot of time on lesson prep! I break into a sweat just reading this! Sounds like you've had a lot of amazing classes. You've got a lucky bunch of students; that's for sure.

Larissa said...

Don't forget, I only have 9 contact hours a week!
I'm tentatively scheduled to teach the same course in January (but 2 sections of it) so all this planning will not go to waste!!