Monday, November 10, 2008

Update on the weather - 'cause I know you're dying to know!

Currently in Doha we are experiencing the perfect weather. The daily temperatures range from as cool as 23 this morning to highs of 28 or 29 in the afternoon. It's gorgeous! There's a nice cool breeze and I'm wearing jeans and long sleeves when I walk to the grocery store in the evening!

At the tennis matches this past weekend, I was actually a little chilly. Saturday evening I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, light jacket and scarf. In addition, I had another scarf folded on my lap as a blanket. But with all this clothing, I was still glad for Darren's warm arm to be around me.

People who have been here for at least one winter have warned me that it will actually get cold. Apparently it is not uncommon for people to go to bed in fleece pajamas and cover themselves with extra blankets for about two weeks each year. It shouldn't be surprising, though, since none of the buildings are equipped with heaters. Anything lower than 18 will seem cold to a Canadian; we're used to the temperature in our houses varying by only a few degrees throughout the year.

Upon the recommendation of...well, EVERYONE, Darren and I purchased a portable heater a few weeks ago. Once the cold weather hits, everyone warns, the stores will sell out of heaters and there will be none to be found in the city. So now we're prepared. I also hear that it is possible to get rain throughout the winter months. It's a good thing I packed an umbrella, and I purchased a coat in Paris. I wouldn't be surprised if the next few weeks involve stops at reasonably-priced stores to pick up a few more warm articles of clothing.

I'm glad the weather is becoming more temperate. The stifling hot, humid days of September were difficult to deal with and soon became tiresome. It also will mean for a less drastic shock in mid December when we get off the plane in Istanbul where we're planning to spend the Christmas vacation. I WILL need my coat there!

No comments: