Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Home sweet relaxing home

My apartment is a life-sucker. It seems that the moment I walk in the "front" door, any hint of motivation leaves me.

My workplace is wonderful, but there are far too many interesting people there and I get easily distracted. Somehow it's always better to talk to them than prepare for class. So I got into the habit of coming home to work. That's fine in theory, but I always forget to factor in the life-sucking quality of this place.

Don't get me wrong; I love my apartment. (Especially the past couple of days -- my landlords have been gone!) I don't blame this lack of energy on these walls or this address. Rather, I think it's more of a "the day has come to an end" mentality or a "I'm now in the relaxing place" mindset.

I wonder if this is something experienced by the masses or if I'm especially vulnerable. Either way, I've got to either train myself to focus and get more done at work or not allow my home-mode to kick in until the evening.

_______________________________
Addendum - Feb. 9, 2006
Darren said he used to experience the same thing...until he designated a certain spot in the apartment the work area. There's now a mental assiciation between that space and productivity. The problem with me, though, is that all of my apartment is "lazy space"...except the kitchen counter/sink. That's where I'm most productive - washing dishes, making dinner. I guess what I really need is a to make the kitchen counter my work space. Man, do I wish I had registered for a bar stool!

1 comment:

hogwarts_girl said...

Your apartment does have that relaxing feel to it though. I think it might be the lighting.