Saturday, July 01, 2006

Canada Day plans

Happy Birthday, Canada.

What do people do on Canada Day? I guess the typical thing to do is to go camping and enjoy the day, sitting around, beer in hand, chatting with friends.

I guess another possibility is to join in the municipal festivities - St. Catharines has an annual Family Street Party.

I have never done either of these things.

Canada Day 2002 and 2003 I spent in Bosnia, 2004 I was in Chile. Prior to that, I clearly remember working on Canada Day 1999 in order to take off a day closer to the weekend. I was at camp for most Canada Days in the mid 90s, and I can't think of where I was or what I did all the other years...but it certainly wasn't doing the typical thing.

Last spring, after running through this list of "lost" Canada Days, I decided that Darren and I would really celebrate it in 2005. Then were invited to a wedding on that very day. Now, I do enjoy a good wedding, but not on the day that I was anticipating celebrating in true Canadian style (whatever that is). I freaked out a little, but we went to the wedding and had a good time (until Darren fell asleep at the table. Sometimes I really am surprised that I stayed with him so long).

Compared to July 1, 2006, the wedding looks great! I spent our nation's birthday this year at a walk-in clinic. But it wasn't a bad day all together. Darren went to work at 10 as usual, but came back 25 minutes later. Apparantly they had decided that they were only going to open for dinner. So, he accompanied me to the clinic and taught me about Martin Luther the entire time. (I think I caught 80% of it). Then Chuck came by in the late afternoon and played video games with my husband while I rested. Then finally I did something typically Canadian on this day - we watched the firewords in Port Dalhousie. There was no way a little strep throat was going to stop me from celebrating Canada Day!

I have no idea what we'll do next year, but I'm over my "have to celebrate like a real Canadian" fettish. I think maybe we should come up with our own tradition for this holiday. We'll see in about 11 and a half months.

2 comments:

hogwarts_girl said...

Glad you got to see some fireworks. I did too, from the top of the new ferris wheel on Clifton Hill, on Sunday night. THAT WAS HIGH! See? I'm not a complete wuss

Me said...

*chanting in unison* MORE NEW POSTS...MORE NEW POSTS...MORE NEW...you get the idea. Come on Larissa, how am I supposed to waste time at work if I don't have updated reading material? HOW? It's been 6 whole days! That's like....*counts on fingers*....almost 7! Which is almost a week!! Or is a week...yeah!!! *Faints from using too many exclamation points*

Oh yeah...hope you're feeling better...much less streppy...