Today is our second mesiversary. That's right, I said MESiversary. Darren believes that his degree in linguistics gives him the right to make up new words, and I concur. Actually I think any native speaker has the ability (and right) to create new words that can be understood by other native speakers.
Most of these words will never become widespread pheonomena, but I have a sneaky suspicion mesiversay will. Its little sister, semiversary probably won't, though. And diaversary has no hope in the world - there are simply too many of them to be worth noting each.
I have another sneaky suspicion: after we get to our first anniversary, we (and most couples, I presume) will probably stop counting the months, but that gives each newlywed couple eleven solid occasions to use this word. Somebody ought to call Mr. Webster, don’t you think?
Oh, you may be wondering how we celebrated this momentous occasion. Well, this morning I rolled over and said, "Happy second mesaversary, baby." Now I know it doesn't compete with Steve and Rachel's skydiving adventure, but that was their second ANNIversary. See? A couple of letters can have a profound impact on a word’s implied meaning and its associated celebrations.


No comments:
Post a Comment