Since we're already into week 3 of 2007, I figure it's time for a little update from Larissa. Except for a trip to church & Quizno's today, I haven't left the apartment since Wednesday, and that was something I totally regretted.The new semester started on Monday, mostly as usual. I met my 2 new classes, did some introductory stuff and bid them all, "see you tomorrow." That evening I felt a cold coming on so I took a little nap before getting ready for class the next day. In the morning I got myself ready for work, but after a less-than-pleasurable bathroom experience and much debating about the state of my stomach/head/entire body, on the way out the door I decided to give a colleague a call to get her to cover my classes.
After spending the day in bed (well, between bed and bathroom), I felt much better, so Tuesday morning I got myself ready for work, drove Darren to school and proceeded to drive myself to Welland. About half an hour later, a wave of faintness came over me and I could do nothing but put my head down and try to remain conscious. It was then that a colleague came in to help. A sports beverage, multiple suggestions and much discussion later it was decided that I could neither work nor drive myself home (apparently faint-headed people shouldn't drive in the snow...or in any weather condition, for that matter).
The next thing I now I was being driven to another colleague's house, tucked into bed and cuddled by a big black (lab?) puppy. At the end of the work day, the homeowner returned with news that the colleague who had driven me there (and covered my class) was picking up Darren so he could drive our car - and me - home. I felt so grateful and embarrassed to have caused such a commotion. But mostly grateful.
A call to telehealth on Thursday confirmed that I had a virus and a call to my boss suggested that I take until the end of the weekend to recover. Which I did. Except that this morning again I felt some of the weakness of this crazy virus, but with the help of my husband a successful trip to church ensued! Now for a little more rest and some lesson planning before we try again tomorrow.
Don't get me wrong - this hasn't been the worst week of my life; there have been moments of joy. Darren has humoured me and we've played a few games of Carcassonne, in the last of which I beat him by 3 points after he farmed a 50-point-area. (I realize that will make sense to very few of you, but those of you who can decipher it, you know the joy I felt!) Also, I witnessed for the first time in my life triangular ice pellets today. (see Darren's post for further clarification). And I realized just how fabulous my coworkers are after the way they banded together to take care of me when I was foolish enough to deny the fact that I was sick. Hopefully we won't have a repeat performance tomorrow when I attempt to teach again.


2 comments:
Oh Larissa, I can indeed appreciate you beating Darren by three points at Carcassonne. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well! Just yesterday I came down with a nasty throat/cold thing too which has become much worse today. I'm hoping it's better by Thursday 'cause I have the biggest singing gig of my life! It sounds like you have very sweet colleagues, I'm glad you are well looked after out there.
Awww pobre sita (sp?)
I'm glad you're feeling better anyway - I hope I didn't give it to you (blushes and cowers). Good job getting Darren back after he got you when you covered all that land. Isn't vengeance sweet?
Love ya God bless
Post a Comment