Since I know that at least one person checks this blog semi-regularly to see my health status, I thought I'd better update it.I went back to work on Thursday. This decision was made after considering a couple of factors:
- I had 4 good days in a row. By "good days" I mean I was able to eat semi-normally, complete small tasks like drive Darren to school, make cookies, stand through most of the singing at church and clean the bathroom. Of course I stopped to take rests, but I was able to successfully my lifestyle - modified.
- My blood work last week indicated that my levels of sodium, potassium, iron, etc. were good.
- I had a very encouraging visit to the doctor on Tuesday. She confirmed that this was indeed a virus that she likened to the flu (a 4-6 week illness) and advised me to return to work on a reduced workload.
Thursday morning I woke up feeling terrible again. Many of my symptoms that had died down returned and I spent the morning in bed, telling myself that if I just got enough rest that morning, I'd be OK for my 3:30 class. Around 1:30 I headed to work so I could look over the notes the supply teachers had left me and make some final decisions about what to include in the lesson. But sitting at my desk I felt hot, shaky, uneasy in my digestive tract and unable to think clearly. I was kicking myself for even trying to go back when I knew that morning that I wasn't well, but I thought that maybe all I needed was a little push to get back into the swing of things.
I'm feeling a number of things: I'm frustrated because I truly thought I was on the mend. I know this is the third time I've said that, but I was confident this time. I feel foolish for having tried and failed yet again to return to work. I'm also bored. I'm tired of being at home, I miss my colleagues and students, and I want to return to 'normal' life, whatever that is. Besides that, I find myself often doubting the veracity of this illness. Because I have so many good moments, I wonder whether this is a figment of my imagination.
But people are so wonderful. Darren reassures me constantly, despite an intense workload he's bearing. My parents were here and they brought some easy-to-make meals as well as some frozen homemade soup (I was spoiled as a child so now I have a hard time eating canned soup) which was very helpful. And my friends are praying, sending encouraging notes and running errands for us.
I know this is temporary and I'm still not sure what it is I am to learn through this. But in the meantime I guess I'm to rest a little more and build up some more strength.


1 comment:
Thank you for your update Larissa! We still continue to pray for you. Our Sunday evening College and Career Bible study has you on our prayer list. I really feel for you because I think you are like me in the fact that you can only handle being sick for so long. Please take care though, you don't need a relapse. Please, please, please let us know if we can help. I have only made home made soup once and it wasn't that good but I could always do muffins!! I know you like muffins. Oh or chocolate, something chocolatey(sp) perhaps. Or even just to help with errands or to give hugs. I'm not afraid of getting it so bring it on girl!!! Take care and God bless you Larissa. I guess He figured you needed a good long rest. Sorry it was on the other end of a bug! :-)
Post a Comment