Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Birthday presents for 5-year-olds

There comes an age when getting money for your birthday is awesome. But before that time it can be quite disappointing, as I learned this past weekend.

Darren and I drove to Forest to celebrate my nephew's 5th birthday. He's visiting Grannie and Papa for a couple of weeks. As we did when his sister turned five and visited the grandparents, we made the trek to join in the party. Imagine a 5-year-old boy's birthday party with 6 adults (2 grandparents, 3 aunts and an uncle) and only one child! That was our Friday night.

At lunch on Saturday, when Levi asked to be excused, he was told he had to stay at the table because there were two more presents for him to open. Auntie Leona brought two envelopes to the table for him and his reaction was one of great confusion:

Levi: Those are my presents?
Grannie: They're cards from your great-grandmas.
Levi: [pausing for a moment to take in this information] Why aren't they toys?

We laughed so much as he expressed his honest confusion. I love that boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true.. it's hard for a kid to just get money.. when he or she is younger. It's harder for us to figure out when money is better!!

This GRANNIE was happy to have the birthday boy at the house, and when he said he wanted to come for his 6th birthday with his WHOLE FAMILY .. everyone here in Forest, it did his grannie's heart good. I told him we'd love to do that too!

Then to top it that he wanted to stay another 9 weeks... no Grannie, I want to stay another 109weeks. How adorable. I love that boy!!