Monday, June 30, 2008

Much more interesting than learner autonomy in the ESL classroom!

I came across an interesting documentary this morning while browsing Relevant Magazine over breakfast which has me distracted from the paper I should be writing. It's called "Lord, save us from your followers."

In it, filmmaker Dan Merchant, donning about 50 bumper stickers of conflicting sentiments, travels the USA in pursuit of open dialogue between Christians and - well, everyone else. According to the movie synopsis, his goal was to "discover why the Gospel of Love is dividing America." In a USA Today article, Tom Krattenmaker describes the film as
a humorous and heartfelt examination of the culture wars featuring a Michael Moore-meets-Monty Python style.

I haven't actually seen the entire film yet. I'd like to watch it with Darren so we have to find a time when we're both free to sit down together for an hour and a half or however long it is. However, I've browsed through the "short films" posted on the website and was intrigued.

I particularly like the 4th thumbnail - in which the film is screened on an American college campus and some really good questions are raised (with a little shameless promotion thrown into the mix) and the 6th - which redefines the 10 commandments, according to current "christian" thought (should you be interested in checking it out yourself).

No comments: