Friday, December 30, 2005

The day before New Year's Eve

Today is my mom's birthday; she's XX years old today. Unfortunately, I won't be there to celebrate with her. It kind of goes with this year - I missed all the birthdays in my family (except maybe Alaina's). But it won't go uncelebrated; her friend whose birthday is tomorrow is coming over for a little tea-ish celebration this afternoon.

I remember one of my mother's birthdays clearly. Alicia and I were young and living in Dunnville. We got up early, went to the kitchen quietly, shut the door and prepared breakfast for mom (and dad - we didn't want him to feel left out). It wasn't easy because my mom isn't a big breakfast person, but I remember planning out foods that we though she would eat (a fruit salad and tea, I think). We brought this breakfast on trays to mom & dad's room and proudly presented their breakfast in bed. We had really good intentions but were disappointed to find out that she can't eat first thing in the morning. Oh well.

I feel badly for anyone whose birthday corresponds with any widely-celebrated event or holiday - New Year's, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Canada Day, you know what I'm getting at. Try as you may, it seems that birthdays, which we celebrate all year long (for different people), always take second place to these once-a-year events. I wonder if people whose birthdays fall on these days ever really accept it.

Perhaps it's up to the friends and family of such unfortunate souls to make sure it's a special day. Either way, happy birthday, mom.

2 comments:

julielewisandthenews said...

My mom's birthday is also at this time of the year (the 21st). Your mom called her on her birthday and it really meant a lot to her! She used to say that when she was a kid all her birthday presents were wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper or she'd get a "Christmas/Birthday present" and well... she didn't like it, don't really know what my point is, just that I agree,it must be hard to have a birthday so close to a yearly celebration, it tends to get mixed up in the muddle of it. I hope your mom had a nice birthday.

hogwarts_girl said...

Happy Birthday to Larissa's mom!