Thursday, December 15, 2005

The search continues

Darren and I spent the evening yesterday looking at wedding reception venues. ..again. (more wedding plan info at my Wedding Blog)

It's a tricky business - choosing a hall, that is - and I'll tell you why. Most halls have package deals that include decorations, the meal, the cake, etc. with the price set per plate. But not only do we have to consider what's in the package (some include DJs and limo service but not chair covers) but also whether or not the taxes and gratuities have been included - that's 31% right there! It seems that getting married is a job for a mathematician!! At this point we're still gathering information and seeing locations. Once we have everything, we can lay it all out on the floor and do some real comparing. Hopefully that will happen this weekend.

We'd really like to get a date and location decided by Christmas so my family can help me with invitations. Apparantly they're supposed to go out in February or March. Personally I'm skeptical of that piece of information...I think I'd lose an invitation that I received that far from what seems like wedding season. But until I my research shows me that I can send them out later, I'll just tell myself that it's better to have the invitations out of the way! Besides, I'm confident that our guests are more competent than I am at keeping important information out of "safe places"!

So, if you have any suggestions as to where to host this event, I'd love to hear them. It looks like the ceremony will be in downtown Hamilton, so somewhere not too far from there would be best. Thanks!

2 comments:

HCJoel said...

Hey Larissa. Darren's friend, Joel, here. We had our wedding at Geraldo's at Lasalle Park (in Burlington). It was awesome. That's not far from downtown Hamilton. Check them out. They can be pricey on certain days but we got a great deal.
If you haven't got your invitations selected yet, I'd encourage you to contact my friend, Marleen. She has her own business that does them. High-end stuff too. Her website isn't finished but it's at www.life-in-design.com - drop her a line! She's swell. Good luck with the preparations!

Larissa said...

Thanks, Joel. The site looks beautiful! Now if Christmas wouldn't get in the way, maybe we could get this resolved! Just kidding - I'd much rather Christmas than visit halls. Yes, I did just turn that 'Christmas' into a verb.