Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dealin' with the Dutch

This time of year seems to be filled with holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas...well, I guess just those 2. But for our family it's also birthday time (5 of the 6 of us are born between Sept. and Dec.) so it just means a lot of family gatherings in this time of the year. And that means a lot of card playing.

Darren is quickly learning that he can't beat me at a game of cards. I played a flawless game of Wizard with his family at Thanksgiving, killed both him and Chuck at the first 2 hands of Phase 10 and I think he's scared to even take me on in Dutch Blitz. I do not, however, have an untainted record. As a couple, we often lose a game of Bid Euchre. It's strange: when we work together, we lose. What are we to learn from that?

I like to claim that my incredible card handling skill comes from the fact that I am half Dutch. To be honest, I am pretty sure there is no evidence to support my belief that there is something in the genetic makeup of Dutch people to make them better card players, but I will hold on to this claim until the end!

One thing I don't claim is to be an expert on the Dutch. My only frame of reference is my family who emigrated from Holland, and a trip I took to the Netherlands when I was 13 years old. But as a kid I always associated Grandma and Grandpa J with glasses of coke, games of pool played without sticks, and cards. And even now, it seems that Grandma always arrives at my parents' house equipped with a new game to teach us. It's fabulous!

When you think of it, there are few activities better suited for family gatherings than playing a card (or for that matter, board) game. It gives people a chance to interact and focus on a specific task at the same time. It's relaxing and envigorating. It's fun and competitive. It allows people to learn about and challenge each other while creating an atomostphere that lets you choose your level of self-revelation. Let's see a movie do that!

I have no doubt that poor Darren can become a real competitor one of these days despite his miscellaneous ethnic background. Until then I say, deal 'em and prepare to lose!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have my doubts that he will ever win. There is something genetic--for sure. My non-dutch, non Morris has never improved. I have never in all my 5 years lost a game to him. So it has soemthing to do with how you grew up or the dutch connection. When palying in a mixed dutch non dutch group I have never seen a non dutch win..what about you?
there was a couple in our small group she was a halfy and he was non dutch and he had never won against her in 7 years.

Anonymous said...

I understand why it is so important to protect the viewers of your blogs. My dear husband has taken great offense to my response and would like me to ammend that in Crib he has beat me 2X. Please accept my applogies Mr. Westerner...sometimes you have a fluke!

Larissa said...

:) Oh, you guys.
Sounds like someone is aching to make a point. In November, what do you say we team up girls against the boys, or would that just be too cruel?

Anonymous said...

I say, take out the cards.. the guys against the girls.. and they will have a hard time to catch you too "dutch chickies"!!

Go get up girls!!!

Wish I could be there... with you!

HCJoel said...

Dutch Blitz... Egads. How many times have I been embarrassed by my performance? Oh, in that game, I mean. I must say that Darren looks completely messed up in that picture. That's AWESOME! Good luck, Conks. Stop trying to win, it'll make your life easier.