Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Hungry Centaurs: search breakfast elsewhere

"Why, Son of Adam, don't you understand? A Centaur has a man-stomach and a horse-stomach. And of course both want breakfast. So first of all he has porridge and pavenders and kidneys and bacon and omelette and cold ham and toast and marmalade and coffee and beer. And after that he attends to the horse part of himself by grazing for an hour or so and finishing up with a hot mash, some oats and a bag of sugar. That's why it's such a serious thing to ask a Centaur to stay for the week-end. A very serious thing indeed." The Silver Chair

I’m low on breakfast food. I have no bread, so toast is out. My milk has expired and I have no cereal, so that's not an option either. Pancakes are do-able but there's no time in the morning. What's left? A granola bar?


Actually, I'm low on food in general. Everything is relative, though. If you compare me to Darren’s friend John, I’ve got food enough to feed an army! But my mother would scold me if she looked in the fridge.

When I lived at home (if my memory serves me well – it has been nearly 10 years, after all) we always had a well-stocked fridge. My mom is a bargain shopper, reading flyers and buying multiples of things on sale and storing them in the ample cupboard space in the basement. In every house that I can remember, there were lots of basement cupboards for grocery store finds.


I guess that’s why it’s so shocking whenever she looks in my fridge. But I neither have that much storage space, nor the guarantee that food that is stocked up will get eaten before it expires. And I am not a family; I need to feed only myself, and the occasional
visitor.

Don't get me wrong; I love to eat! I love trying new foods and experimenting in the kitchen. I use cooking as a creative outlet and a means of procrastination (it's one of the easiest to justify - you've got to eat!) I think of it as a kind of challenge: to use up the remaining mismatched food in a creative and yet delicious way.

Of course, I will go out and buy milk and bread. Those are two staples that should always remain above the creative game.

But Centaurs beware: you likely don't want to breakfast with me!

No comments: